Friday, January 23, 2009

Vacation and Spring Update

Since it has been forever since I last blogged I'll try and do a brief update.....

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009!!

December
I finished last semester at the beginning of January! It has been a whirlwind ever since. Russell graduated on December 20th and began his job search. Unfortunately the economy is not friendly to new graduates but he is working hard to make as many contacts as possible. I helped him move from Waco to Houston then spent Christmas in Austin with my family.

Betsy finally came home for her vacation from France/Hong Kong. I got to spend a good amount of time catching up with her (it totally wasn't enough time either)! Regardless it was so nice and comforting to see all the Austin crew!

The day after Christmas I went to Houston for a Texans game and spent some time with Russell's family. The Texans game was such a great time and we ended up with really great seats. Since the roof is still damaged from hurricane Ike it stays open all the time. Of course it was raining and freezing that day! Russell then made the trip to Austin where we rang in the new year.

My sister, Mom, and I decorating a tree on 360

New Years Eve
I spent this night with the best people in the world! I couldn't have asked for a better night. It seems like forever since I had a night like this spent with friends. We all congregated at my best friend Chris's new downtown condo. We had a beautiful view of the Austin fireworks, danced, and toasted to the new year. I was so lucky to have a bunch of the Baylor crew join us as well. All in all it was such a wonderful night spent with my closest friends and family!

Betsy, Christopher, and I on New Years
Baylor Crew on New Years
(Russell, Me, Courtney, Josh, Thomas)

January- Cruise
My family took our annual cruise our of Miami this year. Our ports were San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. It was definitely the most "interesting" cruise we have ever been on. Dinner was always an adventure. You never knew what you were going to actually get and heaven forbid you want some soup from room service! The ports were beautiful. We were in San Juan at night and since my family didn't want to go on a swamp adventure we ate at a delicious Italian food restaurant. I know, italian in San Juan. . .but it was recommended for good reason!

My sister and I just spent a day on the beach in St. Thomas snorkeling. I got to see a SHARK! It was tiny and non-threatening. I'm pretty sure you could raise one in an aquarium but still it was pretty awesome. In St. Maarten we spent another day at the beach. It rained every twenty minutes but we all got some good sun. The next few days of the cruise were spent on the ship. My poor sister got so sick. I felt terrible for her and of course what worse place to be than stuck on a ship. I know she was glad to get home. It was great to spend so much time with my family, regardless of the "interesting" happenings of the boat.

My sister and I watching the National Championship game on the ship.
Did I mention I hate OU!

New Semester
I have officially started my internship at Parkland Hospital. I was assigned to the trauma rounds. This means I have patients that have brain injuries normally resulting from some kind of fall, car wreck, etc. Right now I'm just shadowing my supervisor. I have done a little work with patients. It has been really great so far. I can't say I'm not totally overwhelmed by the amount of information I've been taking in. It is going to be such a great learning experience and I know I will be challenged. I'm there five days a week from 8-12 and then have class in the afternoon. Classes have started pretty slowly. We had Monday off and my first round of exams is not for a few more weeks. Oh yea and everyone think good thoughts because I'm going to need a strong stomach during this semester!


I'll post another blog about New York once Russell gets some pictures up! It was definitely a great trip and the inauguration in Time Square was unforgettable!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally wanted to go on the swamp adventure. What are you talking about?